Thursday, April 2, 2009

Another Legend Leaves the Biz

I was really disappointed to learn recently that longtime New York City sportscaster Len Berman is retiring from his day-to-day sportscasts in a few weeks, especially because he was pushed-out for budgetary reasons.

Like most markets, New York is losing a lot of terrific on-air and print talent as a result of the changing media industry. Maybe one can look at the media industry as evolving, as advancements in technology have given us numerous new avenues to supply our thirst for news and sports with much faster and convenient options. But when a legend like Len Berman leaves before his time because he’s deemed obsolete, there’s really something wrong.

Maybe I’m biased because I have a sentimental attachment to Mr. Berman. Growing up in Westchester, NY, his daily sportscasts and, of course, his always fabulous “Spanning the World" segments were apart of my foundation as not only a sports fans but a fan of the entire sports industry (there’s a difference between the two).

What made Mr. Berman so great was that he “got it”. His approach to reporting and creating stories placed sports in our lives where it should be: Not life and death, but fun and emotional – and creative!

Mr. Berman was interviewed today on WFAN’s “Boomer and Carton in the Morning” and I really enjoyed listening to him discussing his 40-year career, from his start at Syracuse University to his final days at WNBC in New York (not to mention his beef with Mike Lupica and Don Imus).

He will remain active in some areas of sports media including his Web site, which I encourage everyone to checkout and also signup for his daily “Len’s Top 5”: http://www.lenbermansports.com/

I’ll admit that, for the most part, I too have slowly slipped away from local TV sports and rely on the Internet and cable TV to keep me informed and updated. But listening to Mr. Berman this morning reminded me that those sports mediums will never be able to offer the uniqueness of Don Pardo closing out another “Spanning the World” segment with a "Tune in Next Time for ‘Spanning the World’…If there Is a Next Time. I'm Don Pardo." Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment