Sunday, April 26, 2009

All Things Considered, You Must Visit the New Yankee Stadium


Whether or not you’re a Yankees fan, and setting aside your thoughts on ticket and concession prices, the new Yankee Stadium is an incredible venue and a sports and entertainment attraction one must experience personally.

I finally made the trip to the new Yankee Stadium, securing a pretty good seat on StubHub.com for last Wednesday’s (April 22) day game against Oakland. Including the handling and processing fees, I paid $40 for an electronic ticket I could easily print out at home.

Even before I could step foot inside the estimated $1.5 billion ballpark, I was already impressed with the Stadium’s customer service. Beginning at about a 100-yard radius from the entrance, I found dozens of Yankee staffers scattered throughout the area with signs welcoming fans and politely asking if anyone needs assistances or had any questions.

After a quick loop around the outside of the new Stadium (passing the old one and fighting back tears) I officially passed through the gates for the first time at 10:15 am and began my nine-hour odyssey.

Almost immediately I headed to Monument Park. The Yankees relocated this historic section of the old Stadium into the new ballpark and are now allowing all fans the opportunity to visit it for free before the game.


Jumping on the already long-forming line two and a half hours before game time, I had to wait about 30 minutes before I could get in.

The wait, actually, wasn’t too bad because the Yankee staffers did an excellent job managing the long line and updating you on the wait time.

A terrific feature right at the entrance to Monument Park is an opportunity to peer into the Yankees bullpen and see if there’s any action going on. When I arrived, I got to watch for a few seconds AJ Burnett’s side session for his next day’s start.

The Monument Park tour is not a guided one, so you’re free to roam around and visit the plaques and monuments you prefer. In my case I slowly walked and visited each monument and plaque, studying some more than others.

The entire experience and presentation of the plaques and monuments was first-class all the way. Roses and various flowers separated the historic treasures and very fine architecture surrounded the entire area.

After leaving Monument Park on my own schedule, without a time limit or insistence from staffers, I headed to the Yankees Museum - also free and open to all fans.


With close to 90 minutes before the first pitch, the line to the Museum wasn’t as long as Monument Park’s, but it was still a solid wait…maybe about 20 minutes.

But well worth it.

The Museum protocol was the same for Monument Park - when you enter, you are free to roam where you please without any pressure or time limit.

The large room was made up of various Yankee artifacts and rare memorabilia, really great stuff.

Numerous rare photos, autographed baseballs, World Series Trophies, statues, jerseys, Thurman Munson’s locker and a movie screen (really an enormous television) airing a Yankees highlight reel were all included in the fabulous Museum.

I reached my seat with about 45 minutes to game time. Other pre game entertainment options (like Monument Park and the Yankees Museum) is an airing of a “Yankeeography” on the enormous Diamond Vision perched above the bleachers in straightaway centerfield.

The episode playing, when I got to my seat, was the Sparky Lyle edition which referenced the great Graig Nettles line uttered back in 1977 when Lyle was replaced as closer by Goose Gossage. “(Lyle) went from Cy Young to sayonara.”

Classic.

Despite a slow drizzle throughout most of the late morning and into the afternoon, the game started on time.

The Yanks fell behind early courtesy of a three-run home run by Oakland Athletics catcher Kurt Suzuki. Apparently the homer appeared to be interfered with by some fans in the left field stands. Yankees manager Joe Girardi demanded the umpires review the play via instant replay – a new officiating avenue introduced by MLB last season (which I hate).

I couldn’t tell if the play was interfered with because the Stadium never replayed the action on the Diamond Vision. Perhaps the Yankees did not want to encourage unruly fan behavior so they elected not to re-show the play. But I was disappointed I couldn’t view a replay and try to determine the call myself. Especially since I was sitting and freezing in the cold drizzle for close to 15 minutes while the umps reviewed the play in private.

But the Bronx Bombers jumped back into the game a little later with back-to-back home runs from designed hitter Hideki Matsui and centerfielder Melky Cabrera.

Overall the game was anything but a pitchers duel. Yankee starter CC Sabathia allowed six earned runs and struck out only two in 6.2 innings while his counterpart, the A’s Brett Anderson, surrendered five earned runs on nine hits in 5.1 innings of work.

Another highlight for me during the game (on a personal level) was when I got to say hello to my friend and former Sports Museum of America colleague, Lynn Marschke.

A New York sports industry legend and one of the absolute best people you'll ever meet, Lynn now serves in the Premium Sales Division of the Business Development Unit for the Yankees. So if you’re looking for some higher-end seats in the new Stadium give Lynn a shout, he’ll take great care of you:

Lynn Marschke / (718) 838-6901 / LMarschke@Yankees.com

The game stretched 14 innings before the “The Melk Man” ended it with his second dinger of the day, a two-run walk-off shot into the right field stands to lift the Yanks over the A’s, 9-7.

I have to admit, aside from a $5 bag of peanuts, I didn’t try any of the food. So I can’t report on the cuisine or the prices.

I can report, however, that a cup of domestic draft beer is $10 (the same price, I think, it was at the old Stadium). Obviously that’s an exorbitant fee for a simple beer. But in the Yankees defense, the suds are served in a 24oz souvenir cup. So you’re really getting two beers with each serving. But 10 bucks is still too much for a domestic draft.

Here's my position with regards to the cost of tickets, concession, parking, etc. at the new Yankee Stadium…

I understand the new Stadium was designed and built to cater primarily to the corporate elite and other high rollers. That’s just a fact of life.

But I believe the organization should also offer more seats and some food and drink items with prices that are fair and reasonable for the regular guy. It’s a big mistake to alienate the “real fans”.

But again, all things considered, my first experience at the new Yankees Stadium was a home run (no, I don’t apologize for the pun).

I have to insist that regardless of your baseball allegiance, you have to make a journey to the greatest sports venue in the world…Yankee Stadium.

Let me leave you with one final thought (to borrow a line from John Sterling):

“The Yankees Win! The-Ah-Ah YANKEES WIN!!!”

(Melky gets mobbed at home plate after game-winning HR)


CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN IMAGE SLIDESHOW OF THE NEW YANKEE STADIUM


No comments:

Post a Comment